& Moira Bianchi: Jane Eyre

sexta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2013

Jane Eyre

hello!

My quest through the unknown is relentless... Oh myyy...


hot rio chick
each day looming closer... should I dive in or wait to see if something comes out?

This saturday we'll have another lovely Darcy friends' party, this time a fancy lunch full of surprises. Can't wait! 

We'll be discussing 'Jane Eyre' and how it relates to Austen. For that, I've been watching 'The autobiography of Jane Eyre' on Youtube. Have you? OMG, you should!



It's great! I saved them to watch when the story had reached that part, you know, the revelation and... I'm sorry I did. It's fun and it makes you eager just as 'The Lizzie Bennet Diaries' did.

Here things are more homemade, you really believe it's a girl filming in her room. There aren't the crispy images and neatly rehearsed monologes from TLBD (that I loved), the party episode is totally 'friends gathered to film a cool scene', check it.



hot rio chickAnd... I cheated! When I reached episode 20 I glimpsed a man's legs behind Jane on a frame from episode 40something and I loaded it. No need. Rochester is present from the beginning and he is just like Rochester should be. An ugly handsome, or a beautiful cryptic, a creepy gentleman or a nice confused man... I have a soft spot for Rochester - don't give me the stinky eye, Darcy!



Anyway, today's 40th page is Brontë's masterpiece. Don't you love a well written first-person narrative?


40 pages 40 hot rio chick

Jane Eyre

Charlotte Brontë

Chapter VII
page 40

One afternoon (I had then been three weeks at Lowood), as I was sitting with a slate in my hand, puzzling over a sum in long division, my eyes, raised in abstraction to the window, caught sight of a figure just passing: I recognised almost instinctively that gaunt outline; and when, two minutes after, all the school, teachers
included, rose en masse, it was not necessary for me to look up in order to ascertain whose entrance they thus greeted. A long stride measured the schoolroom, and presently beside Miss Temple, who herself had risen, stood the same black column which had frowned on me so ominously from the hearthrug of Gateshead. I now glanced sideways at this piece of architecture. Yes, I was right: it was Mr. Brocklehurst, buttoned up in a surtout, and looking longer, narrower, and more rigid than ever.

I had my own reasons for being dismayed at this apparition; too well I remembered the perfidious hints given by Mrs. Reed about my disposition, &c.; the promise pledged by Mr. Brocklehurst to apprise Miss Temple and the teachers of my vicious nature. All along I had been dreading the fulfilment of this promise, -- I had
been looking out daily for the "Coming Man," whose information respecting my past life and conversation was to brand me as a bad child for ever: now there he was.

He stood at Miss Temple's side; he was speaking low in her ear: I did not doubt he was making disclosures of my villainy; and I watched her eye with painful anxiety, expecting every moment to see its dark orb turn on me a glance of repugnance and contempt. I listened too; and as I happened to be seated quite at the top of the
room, I caught most of what he said: its import relieved me from immediate apprehension.

"I suppose, Miss Temple, the thread I bought at Lowton will do; it struck me that it would be just of the quality for the calico chemises, and I sorted the needles to match. You may tell Miss Smith that I forgot to make a memorandum of the darning needles, but she shall have some papers sent in next week; and she is not,
on any account, to give out more than one at a time to each pupil: if they have more, they are apt to be careless and lose them. And, O ma'am! I wish the woollen stockings were better looked to! -- when I was here last, I went into the kitchen-garden and examined the clothes drying on the line; there was a quantity of black hose
in a very bad state of repair: from the size of the holes in them I was sure they had not been well mended from time to time."

He paused.

"Your directions shall be attended to, sir," said Miss Temple.

"And, ma'am," he continued, "the laundress tells me some of the girls have two clean tuckers in the week: it is too much; the rules limit them to one."

"I think I can explain that circumstance, sir. Agnes and Catherine Johnstone were invited to take tea with some friends at Lowton last Thursday, and I gave them leave to put on clean tuckers for the occasion."

Mr. Brocklehurst nodded.

"Well, for once it may pass; but please not to let the circumstance occur too often. And there is another thing which surprised me; I find, in settling accounts with the housekeeper, that a lunch, consisting of bread and cheese, has twice been served out to the girls during the past fortnight. How is this? I looked over the
regulations, and I find no such meal as lunch mentioned. Who introduced this innovation? and by what authority?"

"I must be responsible for the circumstance, sir," replied Miss Temple: "the breakfast was so ill prepared that the pupils could not possibly eat it; and I dared not allow them to remain fasting till dinner-time."


---

Oh, don't you hate Lowood?

hot rio chick
hate it, hate it!


Seeya!





Disclaimer: 40 pages 40 is my way to come to terms with celebrate my upcoming 40th birthday. By promoting 40 awesome books I like in no way I intend to dupe the original authors. If you, as me, like what you read, buy them! 
All 40 books can be found on the right side bar. ►
All images found on Google. Kudos to the original poster.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário